A pipe and riser system can replace existing farm channels with a piped network, where risers replace existing bay outlets or possibly extend an existing gravity network.
The pipe and riser network, in most cases, can share pumping activities and costs with a reuse pump. The system can be manually operated, semi–automated or fully automated with computer control and monitoring.
Advantages of upgrading an open channel system to pipe and riser are:
- Elimination of water losses and seepage from farm channels
- Increased production resulting from precise control and accuracy of watering
- Enables almost total coverage of arable land
- Pipeline flexibility allows efficient coverage of any farm shape
- Faster and predictable bay watering operation
- Labour costs greatly reduced due to reduced maintenance and simplicity of watering